Monday, April 26, 2010

DATE #9: Ice Cream Connoisseur

This guy is from Jersey, which normally I discard without a second glance, but I guess in the whole online process I overlooked his location without double checking. I mean, with all the profiles and questions and messages and crap in the world of online dating, how ca you keep track of every communication!?

This gentlemen is a IT guy who actually lives AND works in Jersey and came all the way into the city on a Monday night to have ice cream with me.

We had ice cream because he bragged about being an ice cream connoisseur. He also bragged about being named after the King, but he didn't have the presence of any King, Rock and Roll or any other.

We met at Red Mango on 14th street, yeah, the Frozen yogurt place - doesn't quite qualify as the best ice cream in town but...

He told me he'd be late, but arrived early and thus I was late. He made me feel bad about the 3 dollar tea he had to buy while he sat in wait. We got in line for frozen yogurt and received a wild tutorial from the guy behind the counter. He explain each flavor and the combinations possible with the millions of toppings.

King Connoisseur couldn't decide what he wanted. I ordered a small wild peach and green tea with raspberries and white chocolate chips. He ordered an extra large vanilla with strawberries. Vanilla with Strawberries! He was supposed to be the ice cream connoisseur!

We discussed the weather for 10 minutes, work for 12 minutes, apartment hunting in New York for 5 minutes and blackberry vs. iphone for about another 7 minutes. After these 35 minutes of terribly exciting conversation, we had a few moments of silence before we started discussing work conference calls...

I was done my ice cream, and oh! gosh! I need to get home to bed early because I have an early day tomorrow...

He invited me to join him and some friends for dinner and dancing (on a Monday!) but I kindly declined being as, we just spent an awful 40 minutes of lousy conversation over mediocre frozen yogurt...

And we said a polite goodnight.

But by the time I got home, I had 4 text messages:
"had a great time, so nice to meet you!"
"can't wait to see you again, you should have come out with me tonight"
"next time we'll go to dinner and dancing"
"have a good night & sweet dreams"

What did I do to deserve this?

1 comment:

  1. Lol, it's hard to generate a relationship out of thin air. I think it's worth a second date to see if the chemistry can develop. There was something there that made you actually want to go out with him, right?

    Perhaps he's just an optimistic guy who sees potential and wants to give it another try before writing it off.

    I also would like to apologize for being entirely too optimistic (except of course when it comes to my own love life).

    ReplyDelete