Wednesday, April 7, 2010

DATE #4: Mr. Shrinking Head

It's a bad sign when 5 minutes into a date I'm looking for a way out.

This guy seemed harmless enough, despite that he was the potential date I wrote about in my previous post - the one who wouldn't stop emailing, calling or texting me... and that was before we met. Should have tipped me off.

Story goes - Girl walks into a bar, she's early and sits to wait. He's late and when he walks in, she tries to get his attention but he walks right by. When he wakes from zombie-like state and says hello, his head shrinks into his head a little either in fear or discomfort.

He goes to the bar for drinks, waits 5 minutes while the bartender listens to a story being told to her by another patron, and comes back to the table empty handed. He didn't want to interrupt the bartender to get us drinks. I repeat: he didn't want to interrupt!

Once we got a waitress to serve our table, it takes the guy 10 minutes to pick a beer - he wanted to try something different - 10 minutes! I ordered a jack and ginger.

We then spent some time discussing the weather, and how much I travel and how much I work and really, I tired quickly of talking about me. He consistently told me how boring his life is (which really isn't a plus) and how he's so easy going that he doesn't really care to change anything (also not an attractive quality). Then we talked about families - mostly mine - and when I mentioned what my father does (something to do with pharmaceutical testing and running a global lab), he asked if I could help him get a job with his company (he works for a similar company only 10 billion times smaller). I thought, well that's not very classy, we just met and you want me to help you get a job at my father's company but you just admitted that you're lazy...? Huh?

When we finally seemed to be running out of things to say, he decided to explain to me how the game of Baseball is played (as the Yankees and Red Sox were playing on the bar TV tonight), as if I cared. Finally we were waiting for the check and sitting silently watching the 9th inning (which is the last inning of a baseball game if you didn't know... but it's a tie so they'll keep playing till someone scores and wins).

He paid. Then we walked outside and awkwardly hugged goodbye and good riddance! The kicker was when he said my name, to say goodbye, he said it wrong! And he didn't even offer to walk me home - two blocks away - which is fine but he should have offered. Before I've walked to two blocks home though, I have a text that says "Had a great time! Good Night ;)"

I'm thinking: Were we just on the same date? Dense much?

Am I creating false hopes? I think I'm pretty honest and it was pretty evident that we didn't click, that I was bored and by the end he seemed it too... or maybe he was so preoccupied seeing a future working at a great global company and watching baseball that he forgot I was staring daggers all evening. Even the waitress noticed.




1 comment:

  1. I have been on soo many dates like that... I mean really how can you not be on the same page with someone when obviously the date was a struggle. Men are so dense!

    ReplyDelete