Saturday, April 24, 2010

DATE #8: A First 2nd Date

After almost two months and 7 dates, I have made it to a second date, finally. Well, I guess that's an accomplishment...

This second date was perhaps nearly as good as my first with the Climber and probably should be considered one of the great dates you read about in Cosmo or something. But, you know there's a But coming...

We met in the early afternoon at Brooklyn Boulders to actually go rock climbing (well, rock climbing on a wall). He was late, by about twenty minutes, and I'd already paid for my gear. In the time I waited, I started to get annoyed that maybe I'd been stood up - as soon as I decided I was going to climb without him, he shows, a little too excited to see me.

After a quick refresher course on the ropes, I braved the wall first, trying to remember how to tie my knots so I wouldn't fall... The Climber, is well, a very savvy climber having worked in a climbing gym for some time and actually having climbed real mountains - but I made a pretty good go for the top of a 5.9 (on a scale of 5.5 to 6). We had some laughs as I relearned belaying and nearly killed my date trying to hold his weight on the ropes as he climbed faster than I could pull the rope taught.

We climbed for a couple of hours, he was constantly trying to get me to improve my technique and stop cursing every time I slipped from a hold (which was often). We made fun of the 8-year-olds who climbed like pros though it was more to make me feel better than to diss their abilities.

When we reached the point we could no longer feel our fingers, we decided to walk around the Slope and grab some dinner. Of course I hadn't thought to bring a change of clothes so although the Climber changed into clean slacks and a button down, I was trekking around in my climbing gear covered in chalk.

We walked around the Slope talking about why modern marriages don't work and a current NY Times article that included a research comparison of couples who married for love versus arranged marriages - the arranged marriages worked just as well, sometimes better...

Instead of a nice romantic Italian dinner, we went for burgers, fries and beer (I don't even like beer!) and talked about whether or not babies should be brought to bars (someone had a baby next to us in the bar, very strange).

All was going well - can you see any wrong here? You'd think climbing and dinner would be a long enough date but, no we decided to go for ices too!

Although the night was beginning to be chilly, we walked with our ices to the Prospect Park Pavilion Movie Theater and he bought two tickets for Hot Tub Time Machine. Never thought I'd see that.

The movie was hysterical, I laughed like a hyena and the Climber didn't seem to be bother by the fact I was the loudest in the theater, not that I cared. Of course he seemed more interested in trying to hold my hand and slip his arm around my shoulder all during the movie, very 10th grade.

After the movie, I was all set and ready to go home, I was only a few short blocks away... but the Climber wanted to go for drinks. I thought he was nuts, was 8 hours of my company long enough? I can hardly stand myself for that long, how could he?

As we walked towards the subway, I tried to be sweet and girlie and thank him for the lovely day. He tried to hold my hand and put his arm around me and kiss my face and suddenly I wasn't into him.

At the subway he tried to convince me again that we should go for drinks or maybe I should let him walk me all the way home. I kindly said no thanks, I'm a big girl. Then he tried to kiss me and it was like kissing the back of my hand, only my hand kisses better... I pulled away without trying to make it a big deal and he tried to pull me back. I did the whole fake cough thing and then pecked his cheek with a goodnight. I figured that was an easy let down... right?

The next day I followed up with a Thank you text, and well, didn't hear back.

It's not my fault if even after a great date I don't feel it, is it?
Plus side is I made it to a second date!



1 comment:

  1. The date was going lovely until the part where you didn't want him to kiss you. I guess you can't force yourself to be attracted to someone. Sometimes, it just doesn't happen.

    But hopefully you'll soon be going on another great date, this time with a guy who you want to kiss you. :)

    The 20s Life

    ReplyDelete