Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The World of OnLine Dating

Ahhhh.... my first foray into online dating! How terribly unexciting, yet terrifying. I think it might be worse than actually having to look at the drunkards who try to pick me up in bars...

I have signed up for one online dating service to start. My goal is 3 but we'll see how far I get. For the sake of this blog, we'll call this service "Everlasting Love". Not only does it cost a small fortune, it has a 10-volume questionnaire to assist in matching you with the perfect mate. It took me an hour on the phone with my mother to get halfway through.

Its funny how seldom we have to define ourselves and justify our life choices once we're out in the world and the proof of our existence is in our monthly rent checks. To start, other than your first name, Everlasting Love requires you define yourself using a multitude of SAT words and rate them on a scale of one to ten.

Are you:
Kind? 7 (depends on the day)
Energetic? 7 (when I get sleep and have at least 2 cups of coffee)
Motivated? 10 (sometimes too...)
Defensive? 5 (some of you would give me a 10, I don't know what you're talking about!)
Direct? 5 (never! if nothing but the most direct!)

Do you consider yourself: Loving? 7 (depends on who)
Passionate? 9 (about what? what I do? you?...)
Sexy? (why would I give myself anything less than a 10!)
Jealous? 5 (I don't think so...but I usually get rid of the competition ahead of time)
Mean-Spirited? 5 (not me!)
Easily Angered? 5 (never! I'm the most even tempered person I know)

Do you get my drift? Imagine having to rate yourself on 50 adjectives! Thank goodness my mother kept me from being too honest! (Yeah, Honesty was a describing word to rate too - I gave myself an 8).

After all the words, there are questions - another 50 or so asking me to rate how important certain values and traits are to me and to a potential mate. Rate 1-10: Religious Beliefs, Humor, Engaging Conversation, Emotional Development, Cleanliness, Sociability... on and on... if I get one match, I'll be surprised.


No comments:

Post a Comment