Friday, November 11, 2011

DATE #23: Hipster Accountant

After a quiet summer, well one full of work and no dating, I sort of forgot about my mission. I forgot about forcing myself to date and I've just been enjoying being 28 with no strings attached. And during this time, I barely noticed that someone had taken an interest in me and on the last day of work asked me for my number. Which was kind of stupid because my number was listed on the crew list all summer but he wanted it straight from me, and although that seems stupid, it was totally the right thing to say.

That was back in August and I didn't hear from him for a month which is more than enough time to forget someone or just vaguely remember them so their eventual phone call is a surprise. Then there was almost two months of trying to get together but my priorities changed, well, they didn't actually change - the dating thing was never a priority as we previously established - but other elements of my life were taking precedence so how could I possibly make time for this guy?

And what guy keeps trying to court a girl for two months who says she's interested yet can't make time for a coffee on a Sunday afternoon? I think we scheduled outings and canceled 5 times before Halloween and I suddenly wondered where the summer went? How was it Halloween? Why the heck was this guy still trying to see me? I could hardly remember his face.

We finally did go out, that Halloween night, after along day of work I trekked to a far part of Brooklyn and we met for drinks. He picked it, it was a great choice - quiet but not empty, good wine list and NO costumed ghouls. We sat at the bar and I looked at him thinking, really?

He's kind of a "Yo" boy, in stereotype. He wears his pants Justin Beiber low, his shirts are all striped and slightly too big, his hat is slightly to the side. Well, maybe he wasn't wearing a hat this night but if he had been... He says "Yo" alot, and "boy" and "you know" and ends his -ing's with -in'. But he's smart in an unexpected way. He runs his own business on the side of our business and, well, so do I - yet another thing in common that doesn't seem right. He thinks I'm funny, and charming and after two+ hours of talking on a school night, he walked me to the train and immediately asked when he could see me again.

The weirdest thing about this night was how normal it was, I guess it helped we already knew each other a little bit so there was no need for the "so, what do you do?" "where are you from?" questions. There was no pressure, no expectations, just good clean conversation and lots of laughs. Why wouldn't I see this guy again?

No comments:

Post a Comment